History

1858: The “South Brant Agricultural Society” formed

1860: First Fair held in Cathcart known as the “Cathcart Exhibition”

1863: Fair relocated to Harley known as the “World’s Fair”

1893: 22 acres purchased in Burford. First year Fair held at present site, 1 day event.

1920: Race track constructed

1924: Original grandstand built

1931: Cattle barn built, now known as “old horse barn”

1950: Agricultural Pavilion (hall) built

1951: Two cattle sheds constructed

1953: Legion building constructed, Lions Ball Park completed

1957: Hog Producers Building constructed

1960: First year for Fair “Queen” pageant, Lions Pavilion constructed

1966: Cenotaph moved and established at the Fairgrounds

1970: Poultry building built, now known as the workshop

1971: Original Horse Barn destroyed by fire

1982: Burford Fair expands from one day to 1 ½ days

1985: Betting Booth built, Fair expands to 2 full days

1990: Chain link fences replace wooden fence along Park Ave

1992: New sand horse ring

1993: Bicentennial Building constructed

1998: Fire destroys grandstand on April 3rd, new grandstand built in time for 1998 Fair

2003: Burford Fair expands to 4 day event

2012: Cattle barn dismantled

2013: Agricultural Pavilion replaced by new Ag Hal thanks to entire community

2014: Optimist Playground installed, thanks to the Burford Optimist Club

2014: “Hog Barn” renovated into storage barn, thanks to the Pepper & Phillipo Families

2014:  Horse Show Ring & new practise ring installed thanks to Clare Family

2014:  Legion is resided thanks to the Clare Family

2014:  Fencing replacements thanks to FCC Agri-Spirit Grant, Brant Community Foundation & Bond Fence