About

YEAR
WHAT TOOK PLACE
1858
Burford Fair was formed.
1860
Burford Fair was originally established in Cathcart.
1863
The Burford Fair relocated to Harley with an Exhibition Hall being erected at that location.
1893
22 acres of land was purchased at the present fairground site in Burford. This was the first year it was actually held in Burford.  The fair started out as a one-day event.
1920
The racetrack was constructed.
1924
The original grandstand was constructed.
1931
A cattle barn was built.
1940’s
It is understood that the Society may not have had a fair for two years during World War II.
1950
The first building was the Agricultural Hall.
1951
A cement floor was added to the Agricultural Hall.
1951/53
Two cattle sheds were constructed adjacent to the original cattle shed building (which is now known as the “old horse barn”).
1952
The kitchen in the Agricultural Hall was moved from under the stage to its current location on the east side. A later addition was constructed to extend the addition and expand the area of the kitchen.
1953
The Legion building was built on the fairgrounds site.
1953
The Lions Ball Park was completed.
1953/54
The racetrack was hardtopped and used for car races and also motocycle races.
1954/55
Wooden bleachers were constructed along the west side of the racetrack and north of the grandstand. The bleachers were constructed for midget car racing and other racetrack functions.
1956
A heating System was installed in the Agricultural Hall.
1957
The Hog Producers building was constructed.
1960
The first year that the Fair “Queen” pageant was held, which is currently called the Fair Ambassador pageant, to be politically correct.
1960
The Lions Pavilion was constructed.
1964
A hard surface was laid on a portion of the grounds and the Judge’s Stand was built.
1966
The Cenotaph was moved and established at the Fairgrounds.
1969
A new ceiling and lights were installed in the Agricultural Hall.
1970
The Poultry building found its way to the Burford Agricultural Society.
1971
The Horse Barn was destroyed by a fire.
1982
The Burford Fair was expanded from a one day Fair to a one and a half day Fair will full operations on Monday and partial operations on Sunday.
1984
The Lions Pavilion received a face lift and stone grit was applied to the harness track.
1985
The Betting Booth was constructed adjacent to the Grandstand.
1986
A new concrete floor and linoleum were installed in the Agricultural Hall as well as a new furnace and heating system; the parking lot was expanded to go in front of the Legion Building; a concrete floor was installed in the Lions Pavilion.
1985
The Fair finally turned into a full 2 day event.
early 90’s
The Burford Fair expanded into a 2 day, 2 evening operation.
early 90’s
Shows such as the Cattle Show and th Goat Show were deleted due to minimal numbers of entires.
1990-93
Chainlink fences were constructed along Park Street, replacing wooden fences.
1991
The original washroom addition – east side of Agricultural Hall was demolished and a new addition with new washrooms were constructed.
1991
A new septic tank and tile bed field was installed on the inside of the track with an underground force main pump system to pump effluent from the septic tanks (beside the Agricultural Hall to the new bed)
1992
A new sand horse ring was constructed ; air conditioning was installed in the Agricultural Hall.
1992
The actual ownership of the Lions Pavillion was transferred from the Lions Club to the Agricultural Society – had formerly been a lease arrangement.
1992
A tent having dimensions of 30 feet by 60 feet was acquired for use on the Grounds and for other local events.
1992-94
Underground wiring was installed thereby replacing overhead wires at the fairgrounds.
1993
The 5th building, the Bicentennial Building was built.
1998
A sad and troubling year for the Agricultural Society and the people in this community.  A Globe and Mail courier discovered the grandstand on fire on April 3rd. Unfortunetly there was no hope of saving the structure.
1998
Through community financial support the Agricultural Society was able to begin construction of the new bleacher building in July.
1998
The official opening of the new Grandstand was held at the Fall Fair on October 11th, 1998.  The OPP Golden Helmets Motorcycle Ride came to help us celebrate.
????
The Agricultural Society put an extension onto the front of the Agricultural Hall to house a committee meeting room. There will be display cases installed to hold Fair memorabilia.
2003
The Burford Fair expanded their scheduled events to include Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and evening,  all day Sunday and Monday.